Off on our travels today but first Lynda had two appointments at the beauty parlour and the hairdressers.
That left me to finish getting Ruby ready for the road. We have been at White House Farm Wortham near Diss on and off for a few weeks now and I knew I might have a problem gettting off our grass pitch. Not for the first time I had to ask the farmer, Geoff, for assistance. I felt better that even his small tractor had a problem getting Ruby to terra firma with wheels spinning etc.
I finally met up with Lynda at about 13.00 and we headed for our night stop, once again at New Dover Road park and ride at Canterbury. We had a good run down with no traffic and the sun shining most of the time. It was still 16.45 or so by the time we got there and was now dark. Quite a few vans at Canterbury, about 6, not bad considering we are in January.
We knew we would have to get up early as we are due to get the 06.20 Channel Tunnel train. Our slumbers were not aided by a nearby van owner who ran his engine for about 15 minutes at about midnight. Also slammed his sliding door several times.
Only one dark photo of Canterbury, I was not allowed into the
van until the photos was taken.
11th January.
We left Canterbury at about 04.55, as quietly as possible. We had a good run to the Channel Tunnel terminal on the M20 but by the time we got there the sign was saying 'please proceed'. Lynda was having none of this and insisted on preparing coffee and toast before we made our way to our train.
It was still dark when we arrived in France, just as well I fitted beam deflectors to Ruby's headlights while we were on the train.
Long drive today though. We didn't get a lot of sleep last night and what with the early start I was not looking forward to today's 260 mile drive. We just about had enough diesel for our journey but just in case I stopped and put some in - 1.63 euro a litre so not cheap.
Several times Lynda helped out with the driving, I was very grateful for the rest! Rouen is known to be a bit awkward as regards driving in motorhome circles. Although I had the co-pilot app on my phone set to 'use motorways' it seems there isn't one that bypasses Rouen so it was down to me to find my way through.
Several times Lynda helped out with the driving, I was very grateful for the rest! Rouen is known to be a bit awkward as regards driving in motorhome circles. Although I had the co-pilot app on my phone set to 'use motorways' it seems there isn't one that bypasses Rouen so it was down to me to find my way through.
We were worn out by the time we got to our destination today at St Saturnin near Le Mans. This is not a cheap aire and it cost me nearly 17 euros to stay here including 5 euros for our membership card.
We get all we need here though - electricity, water and wifi so its worth it.
Small stream running alongside the aire.
We will be doing the necessary before we leave.
Secure barrier entry which we had a problem with when we arrived.
Luckily the lady in customer services spoke good English and sorted
it all out for us.
After a much needed good nights sleep we are on the road again soon. There is a railway line near the aire, I heard a couple of trains pass at about 20.30 but I don't know what time they stop for the night because we were both gone!
No comments:
Post a Comment