Please leave a comment

15th February 2017 - Heading West, Sort Of

15th February.

Once I had dropped Lynda off at work, to be picked up later, I was off to the storage site to get Ruby ready. I took the van to wash it about 3 weeks ago and spent about 2 hours cleaning, I even did the roof. By the time I got back to the site though she was as filthy as ever thanks to some mud and puddles on surrounding country roads.

I was glad then that I had arranged for the chap on the storage site to give Ruby a wash and wax before our trip. You remember I had a brand new starter battery fitted a month or so ago? - dead as a doornail! Good thing the storage site chap had his jump leads handy.

Once Ruby was looking respectable (very temporarily) I headed off to Tesco in Thetford to get some supplies and diesel. While I was in Tesco's car park I took the opportunity to put most of our holiday stuff away. Lynda can't go anywhere without a wardrobe full of clothes so it took a while.

Lynda was not due to be picked up until about 14.30 so I still had quite a while to kill. I was peckish and so pulled into a layby on the A11 and parked up for a while, making good use of the hot food van parked there.

The food van is the famous, among A11 users. Carlsburgers. I bought a large bacon, lettuce and tomato roll and a coffee for £5.20 - fantastic value and very polite service.


A work of art, seems a shame to eat it - but I managed....

After a bit more hanging about it was time to pick Lynda up from work and head south. Our destination on this trip is Cornwall to visit family and friends. Our eldest son and his better half live sort of en route at Caversham, near Reading. Their son number 2 is due any time now and Lynda and I are on standby to look after their 3 year old while mum and dad go off to the hospital.

Where to stay for the next two nights was the question. The C&CC site at Chertsey seemed to fit the bill but their website would not let me book, too short notice  I suppose. I phoned the site direct and left a message on their machine asking  for a call back.

We finally booked the site when the satnav said we were only about 15 miles away. Unfortunately the traffic on the M25 was diabolical around Heathrow and it took us about an hour to cover 10 miles meaning we were lateish getting to the site.

Another motorhome arrived just ahead of us so the warden was only disturbed once to show us to our respective pitches.

16th February.

Lovely quiet night, all we could hear was the roar of distant traffic and the nearby weir in the Thames.

Our usual several cups of tea in bed then it was time to take Lucy for her short walk. Poor old Lucy can't manage the steps on the van at all these days. She has to be lifted in and out and she is no lightweight I can tell you.

More tea made then I went to the Spar shop in the garage just across the road to get some bacon, biscuits and Lynda's all important newspaper.

Once breakfast was done - a delicious bacon sandwich I thought it was time I tidied up Ruby's garage, quite a task. I did the best I could then took a walk over to dump some rubbish, taking some photos on the way.

As I type this its about 11.30 and Lynda is sitting outside drinking her coffee in the weak sunshine, not bad for February.


Clearing out Ruby's garage, this is only about half the junk inside. By the way, Lynda
is at the bedroom window - still in bed at 10.27!


Lynda's eye view of me sorting out garage. She seems to believe I
like doing this - she's wrong!






Kids playground. Not being used thank goodness.


Interesting motorhome / truck. The writing on the doors is in foreign
so don't bother trying to read what it says.


Tiny tent + February = no thanks.

After lunch we went on a shortish walk by the river as its a pleasant enough day.


Chertsey Lock, just the other side of the river from the site.


We watched a longboat passing through the lock. Quite interesting for
us 'landlubbers' but probably dull routine for boat users.



Weir on the Thames, a lot of water rushing through.


Some sort of protest banners in the front garden of one
of the houses near the river.

I have added details of a couple of 'vlogs' to the list on this site. One of them - Carolyn's RV Life' is American and has almost 25,000 subscribers!

No comments:

Post a Comment